Monday, May 4, 2009

Nesting

Why is it that for 9 months I've done nothing? Really. I've mostly sat around. Directed traffic around me. Made a few meals but really done a whole lot of nothing. And then when I'm a mini-whale (I only say mini because my friends tell me that I don't look 9 months pregnant.) all of a sudden I get the urge to clean stuff.
I'm a piler. You know the lady that just keeps making stacks of stuff instead of putting things away. Well now the piles are driving me crazy so I've been attacking them. My kitchen desk is cleaned off. My dresser and night stand are cleaned off. I'm really annoying myself.
When Grace came home from school and saw my decluttered kitchen countertops she remarked, "Wow. Mom. Now you should do the car."
I had to remind the children that I am a whale and it's way more possible to stand and clear a counter than it is to bend over seats to pick up their dirty socks, garbage, pencils, and whatever else lurks under the seats of the car.
They quickly disappeared, as they are known to do, when they can sense that mom's lecture slash rant might turn into assigning jobs.
Now I'm off to attack the laundry room.

9 comments:

E.F.G. said...

mini-whale...giggle, giggle. you look great! if you weren't 9 months preggo, i'd ask you to come to NYC and try your nesting instincts here. we have lots of piles! have fun getting ready for baby...

K. Lou said...

My favorite is--mom, can you please go shopping today so we can have something to eat when we get home from school? Don't they know that saltines could count as a snack??

Merianne said...

I'm glad you're finally getting more energy. I haven't done much during my pregnancy either, but last weekend I went on a rampage and cleaned to my hearts delight. There is still so much to do before the baby comes but I can only do so much. I can't imagine having several kids and having to do all these things...you're a trooper!

Melanie said...

Um, does mini-whale status allow driving to Logan to nest around these parts? Just checking.

Julianne said...

"Wow Mom, you should do the car"?! That made me laugh out loud, mostly b/c I can hear Grace saying that, and then I can also picture the lecture and all the kids kind of melting into the woodwork of the house so they wouldn't get picked to do the next set of chores.

Good lucksie on the laundry room. We are actually attempting to do something about our laundry room today, too. But ours is about the size of a kitchen cupboard compared to yours, so I don't envy your task. Good luck.

Only 7 more days until Baby Girl is born on the 12th! Yeah!

Natalie said...

Good luck! I've been that way since I found out I was pregnant! I kindof love that stage! It's the only time in my life where I feel like I really accomplish things! I'll be thinking about you all week!

Tamie said...

ah! the baby's coming...and soon!
enjoy the energy while you've got it, you'll be tired soon enough :)

Rob and Amy Weaver Clan said...

Judging from the picture- you don't look 9 months. Good luck!

aubreyannie said...

OH MY GOSH, time flies. i can't believe you're at 9 months. and dilated to a 3. i can't wait to hear her name!